Wash and Care of Batik
Coast Handmade batik is made from 100% natural fibre textiles to ensure optimal bonding of the dye to the fabric, thereby producing beautiful saturated colours. We also use only high quality dyestuff to ensure long lasting colour in our fabrics.
However please do remember this is a handmade product and some extra care should be taken to ensure your batik purchase remains a treasured possession for years to come. Here are some tips to take care of it:
- Cotton and rayon can be washed in cold or warm water, never hot water.
- It is normal for batik to lose a little colour during the first few washes.
- Always wash separately by hand or on the gentle cycle of your front loading washing machine.
- Spin gently and line dry away from sunlight. Batik should never be tumble dried and only requires light steam ironing.
- When washing for the first time we recommend you add a tablespoon of ordinary ground salt to the water and leave to soak for a maximum of 10 minutes before rinsing under running water. This will help to set the colours and extend the life of your purchase.
- All silk purchases must be dry cleaned only by a reputable dry cleaner.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight in order to prevent fading.